Section 3. Main Idea/Central Idea
Lesson 9. Identify Main Idea and Details
- Prompts for Identifying Main Idea and Details
- Write-About-Reading Template: Main Idea
- Excerpts to Write About: “A Hurricane Arrives” From Violent Skies: Hurricanes by Chris Oxlade
- Look for Signal Words When Determining Main Idea!
Lesson 10. Understand Topics and Subtopics
- Write-About-Reading Template: Topic Sentences
- Excerpts to Write About: “White Death” From Avalanche! The Deadly Slide by Jane Duden
- On the Lookout for Key Details: What Are Some Things Look for?
Lesson 11. Determine Central Ideas: Details
- Prompts for Noticing Central Ideas
- Write-About-Reading Template: Think About the Central Idea
- Excerpt to Write About: “How Does a Chameleon Change Its Color?” From How Come? Planet Earth by Kathy Wollard
- Write-About-Reading Template: Writing a Paragraph About Main Idea and Key Details
Lesson 12. Determine Multiple Ideas in a Text